Monday, June 30, 2008

Gail Borden Online

Finally the last assignment! I checked out all the things GBPL is doing online.

I visited the GoodReads blog and subscribed to it.

I asked a question at AskAway Illinois and was helped by a NJ librarian. I used to do Virtual Reference online when Youth Services was helping out Adult Services a year or so ago so I felt bad when I stumped the librarian. I asked how wide Lake Michigan was at Sheboygan, WI. She did find me information about the lake and how wide at its widest point, etc. but was not able to find the exact distance at that point. I told her it was only a curiosity question and I could check a map so she did send a map of the lake. It is nice to know we have this resource to offer our patrons on a 24 hour a day basis!

I checked out the many photos the library has posted at Flickr and I watched a couple of staff video reviews of books on YouTube. I also watched the video about our dinosaur exhibit which was very well done!

Gail Borden is doing a good job of using these new technologies to inform and reach people. We need to continue to explore and experiment with new Web 2.0 technologies. This has been a good experience for me. I was familiar with some aspects of Web 2.0 but I got to try several new things. I will continue to use some of them regularly!

No comments: